Friday, August 29, 2008

I moved to the city of Norwalk, CT towards the end of the winter of 2007. On my way to work each day I drove through a residential area and one property, in particular caught my eye. Unfortunately, my attention was not peaked because of a positive feature, but a negative one.

You see, the property that I am describing is one that sits on the corner of a busy intersection and SMACK in the center of this otherwise desirable location is a MASSIVE electrical transmission line tower! I recall one day soon after I moved to Norwalk, commenting to my employer about how unfortunate it was that this attractive home has such a monstrosity of a negative feature on their property. I dismissed the property as an ‘eyesore’ to the neighborhood. Little did I realize at the time, that this homeowner annually turns such a negative feature into a conversation piece and focal point for the entire community!

Last spring, as I daily passed this property, I watched as gardeners slowly and methodically cleaned out, previously unnoticed flowerbeds, planting seedlings and young annuals for a future show. Upon my return to Norwalk last September, I was AMAZED at the transformation of this property! There, for every passerby to view and enjoy, was a spectacular show of color and bloom! Yes, I had to “eat my words” as this once, ‘eye-sore’ of a property had become a true summer show place!

True to tradition, as once again I returned to Norwalk from spending the summer in Maine, I passed this property and was again amazed at the lovely display of flowers, vegetables and grasses! I HAD to stop and take some photos and as I did, I immediately applied the transformed yard and garden to a spiritual truth.

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” 2 Cor. 5:17 NKJV


If any of you know me personally, you may agree that there has been a transformation in my life; one that is ongoing until the day I depart this earth. Because of God’s great love for me, Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice, atoning for my sins and thus, providing me the opportunity to become a NEW CREATION! When I acknowledged Christ as my Savior and Lord, the Holy Spirit filled me and began what I view as, an astounding transformation! Where once there were huge, ugly sins and stains, Jesus has washed me clean, made me new and cultivated, as it were, a beautiful, thriving garden of my life!

I am amazed daily as the Holy Spirit takes the sinfulness that wells up in the ‘flesh’ part of me and washes it clean! Just like this lovely garden has been tenderly cultivated and cared for, so my life in Christ has been formed and is continually nurtured into a sacrifice that is pleasing to Him. Others may not always see the beauty in my life, I even question ‘beauty’ at times, but I know that my Lord considers my life beautiful and He smiles when I am obedient and I honor Him.

How I wish I had taken a “before” photo so that you could truly appreciate the astounding transformation of this residential property in Norwalk, but you will have to imagine. During the winter months anything in the photos that you see that shows color, texture or form, is simply not there! Instead of color and lush foliage and blossoms, there is DIRT and BARREN, COLOR-LESS landscape.


Praise God for transformation! He is GOD of new beginnings and new life!
A thought for the day: As Christians, are our lives a true credit to the Master Gardener?



No comments: