Sunday, September 12, 2010

Don't you just love Sunflowers?
I do!

When I look at a sunflower,
I can't help but feel HAPPY!
I love the cheery yellow color,
the large, black seed heads
and the fluffy,
almost curly leaves
that rest on top
of the tough, green pods.

Today I stpped at the local grocery store and picked up a few stems of Sunflowers to brighten up my living room and just because I enjoy them so.

Just now, as I was eyeing my sunflowers with a happy heart, the Holy Spirit reminded me of my fellow Christians and others throughout the world who would SO benefit from sunflowers. I'm not talking about the cheer that these flowers bring me, but more the FOOD and NUTRITION that a single sunflower can provide. Sunflowers are an excellent source of all sorts of healthy fats, fiber and vitamin E.

So, I'm thinking and find it quite interesting that I would be prompted to consider the needs of the poor and needy in the world, just by looking at a sunflower! There was a time, not even so long ago, that I simply would have enjoyed the sunflowers for their beauty and the comfort and pleasure they provide for ME. I believe that through my "Radical Experiment" the Holy Spirit is opening my eyes and heart to the needs of others much more than in the past.

I wish I could send some 'health', whether spiritual, physical or emotional, to those around the world who need it so desperately. I pray that from this time forth, the sunflower will serve as a lasting reminder to me to share the 'health' that Christ provides for all who trust in Him! May God be glorified in YOUR life and mine!

1 comment:

Sean and Lisa said...

I LOVE sunflowers! They are my favorite flowers and in fact that is the "theme" in my kitchen.

Love your heart for the poor and needy. What a blessing!!

Much love!
Lisa